My Six Basic Tips For Effective Skincare Are:
- 3-Warm Water Wash and Dry
- 6-Drink at last 8 glasses of water a day!
- Cleanse your skin and remove all make up
- Exfoliate your skin with Microderm360 or a topical exfoliator such as you will find in my Recipe Book
- Warm Water Wash and Dry to remove all dead skin cells from the exfoliation treatment
- Treat the skin with with serums and a good moisturizer
- Protect the skin with a full range SPF
- Drink water!
The most important steps are 2, 5 and 6!!! If you were to do nothing else, these three steps will keep your skin looking young, healthy and hydrated!
Sun Safety Tips
It is a commonly acknowledged fact that spending time in the sun increases the risk of skin cancer and may cause your skin to age prematurely. To reduce this risk, you should use sunscreen every day of the year – even on the most gloomy days, the sun’s harmful rays will find you! Here are some tips I give my clients:
- Before leaving the house, always apply a sunscreen with broad SPF values of 15 or higher and reapply frequently.
- Limit your time in the sun, especially between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear light, comfy clothing to cover-up – this is a case of more is better!; for example, long-sleeved shirts, pants, sunglasses, and broad-brimmed hats.
- Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, and more often if you’re sweating or in and out of the water.
- Find a shady spot between the hours of 11am and 3pm; this is when the sun is at its most powerful, and always remember to hydrate by drinking plenty of fluids, preferably water.
- …….and don’t forget your hair! Protect your hair and scalp from the sun’s harmful rays by applying sunscreen to the exposed areas of your scalp; you can make a a quick fix at home by diluting a small amount of sunscreen with twice the amount of water in a small spray bottle. Keep it handy in your bag to spritz your hair throughout the day. To remove the sunscreen firm your hair, wash thoroughly with your favorite shampoo and then rinse through with a few capsful of apple-cider vinegar.
Kelley’s Skincare Recipes
NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF!!!
You will notice that many of my recipes call for Manuka Honey from New Zealand. Manuka Honey has proven health and healing benefits; honey has been used since ancient times to treat multiple conditions but It wasn’t until the late 19th century that researchers discovered that honey has natural antibacterial qualities.
Honey protects against damage caused by bacteria. Some honey also stimulates production of special cells that can repair tissue damaged by infection. In addition, honey has an anti-inflammatory action that can quickly reduce pain and inflammation once it is applied to the affected area.
Not all honey is equal and that is why I prefer Manuka Honey with an UMF rating of 16 or higher.
KELLEY’S INSIDE OUT #1 BEAUTY TREATMENT
Every morning, drink one glass of warm water with a teaspoon of Manuka Honey and a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice; this potent combination may help to improve the overall tone of your skin, hair and nails, and may aid in diminishing belly fat!
THE BEST FACIAL WASH EVER!
Wet your hands and rub 1tsp of Manuka Honey between your palms; gently rub your palms over your face and neck in circular motions for about five minutes. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry. Your skin will feel soft and dewy; no harsh chemicals or soaps required!
YUMMY AVOCADO HAIR CONDITIONER
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado
Peel avocado and remove pit. Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl with your hands until it’s a consistent green color. Smooth into hair being careful to work it to the ends. Use shower cap or plastic wrap to seal body heat in. Leave on hair for 20 minutes. For deeper conditioning wrap a hot, damp towel around your head over the plastic, or use a hair dryer set to a low to medium heat setting.
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 teaspoon Organic Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Organic Lemon Juice
Squeeze ginger root through press or juicer to obtain one tablespoon of juice. Mix all ingredients. Apply to scalp and let dry before shampooing. Repeat three times a week.
CLARIFYING CIDER-VINEGAR RINSE
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cool water [the cooler the better]
Mix ingredients in an unbreakable bottle. Shampoo and rinse as usual. Pour vinegar rinse through hair, do not rinse again [the cider vinegar scent will very quickly dissipate]. Conditioner should not be needed but you can apply a leave-in conditioner to ends if necessary. Ratio of vinegar to water may be adjusted according to the amount of clarifying needed or frequency of use. This rinse is probably the most popular homemade hair care treatment, it will effectively remove product build-up from your mane [including sunscreen and silicone] and leave it very soft and shiny.
COCONUT DEEP CONDITIONER
Keep your hair smooth, hydrated, and shiny with this natural conditioning treatment; apply it once a week.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
Mix ingredients together, apply and cover your scalp and hair with a plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap). Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse hair thoroughly.
BEAUTIFUL SKIN CARE TIPS
GRIND N SCRUB
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (I love lemon)
- 1/4 cup fresh coffee grounds
Mix it all together and scrub away!
AVOCADO AND MANUKA HONEY MASQUE
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tablespoon Manuka Honey
Mix all ingredients into a smooth cream. Apply it to your skin and leave on for at least 30 minutes Rinse off with warm water.
ZAP THE ZITS
- Brewer’s Yeast
- A squeeze of lemon juice
Make a paste using a little bit of brewer’s yeast, a squeeze of lemon juice.
Apply right on your blemish and leave for 10 minutes, cover with a bandage.
This recipe is great for acne prone skin. The basil acts as an antiseptic, helps clear acne-causing bacteria, and improves circulation to the skin.
- 3 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1 cup boiling water
Crush up the dried basil leaves and mix them into a cup of boiling water. Once the mixture cools, strain out the leaves, put it in a spray bottle and spritz your skin. Use a cotton ball or pad to spread the toner gently around your face. Do this daily before cleansing.
LUSCIOUS LIPS PLUMPER
Clearing dry, dead skin from your lips makes them look instantly plumper and luscious.
- 1/2 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coffee grounds
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Mix it all together and apply to entire mouth, massaging for five minutes. Wipe clean with a warm wet washcloth.
HEEL YOUR SOLES!
- 1 tablespoon cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 1 teaspoon Manuka Honey
- a few drops of your favorite essential oil
Melt cocoa butter and beeswax on a low heat in a saucepan. Once melted add the essential oi and honey and pour into a glass jar to set.
Apply to your soles and heels each night before bed to repair them in no time. Be sure to wear socks to prevent a sticky mess on your bedsheets!